Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chvzdings Alfa 75

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
chvzding

chvzding

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi all thought I better sign up and post up. The alfa may or may not make it to the next cruise do to being unregistered but heres the project so far.

The aim is 250hp, 180ish killerwasps at the wheels naturally aspirated from a 2.5 alfa V6.

Pretty big challenge as most of the bits I need are custom order or need custom fabrication.

Its a road/track car and my intention is to be capable of driving it on the street most days and then by changing a few things such as exhaust, seat removal, tune and suspension settings hit the track. Could yet be a tad too wild for the street.

A lot of things haven't been done yet as I need to actually get the bloody thing registered before I can really do a lot of the work and I have been waiting on a new speedo sensor for a while now.

Heres things how I have decided them now, some parts are bought, some are in planning, some have been engineered and fabricated, some could still be swapped for something else.

Suspension
Front Shocks: Bilstein Sport (previously KONI yellows (sold))
Front Springs: Eibach
Rear Shocks: Bilstein Sport (previously KONI yellows (sold))
Rear Springs: Eibach
Steering Rack: Rebuilt stock item
Panhard Rod: JSR (USA suspension guys)(ordered)
Front Sway Bar: Whiteline heavy duty (ordered)
Rear Sway Bar: JSR Racing and linkage kit (done)
Differential: Twin Spark LSD (rebuilt and installed)
Front Strut Brace: Custom (CAD designed and fabricated!)
Rear Strut Brace: Custom (CAD designed and fabricated!)
Chassis Bracing: Custom (CAD designed and fabricated!)

Engine
Head: Ported/Polished
Block: Stock 2.5 V6
Conrods: Prepped stock (shot peened, polished)
Throttle Bodies: Six, independant throttles, probably DCOE or GSXR adapted
Pistons: high compression forged (10:1ish) CP pistons
Camshaft: Type B Alfa V6 Cams (Autodelta Cams, installed - very lopey idle now Very Happy )
Cam gear: Adjustable
Injectors: Not sized yet
Sump: modified, 2 litre extra capacity, (fabricated, awaiting installment)
Oil Pump: Stock
Oil Cooler: Heavy duty
Radiator: Alloy
Radiator Hoses: Silicon (Gregs)
Engine Mounts: Strengthened stock (being fabbed now)
ECU: Megasquirt
Extractors:
Gearbox: 2.0 Alfa Twin Spark Short Ratio (installed)
Transmission Cooler: Heavy duty item I have had for ages

Brakes
Rear Rotors: DBA Drilled and Slotted
Rear Calipers: Rebuilt brembos (from SZ I believe)
Rear Pads: Green Stuff pads
Front Rotors: DBA drilled and slotted
Front Calipers: Rebuilt brembos (from SZ)
Front Pads: Green Stuff
Braided Lines: Pirtek or similar
Brake Bias valve: not yet

Rims/Tyres
Street Rims: Stock
Street Tyres: Adrenaline Re55's
Track Rims: Minilites
Track Tyres: something sticky...

Will up some photos later.

Last edited by chvzding on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:12 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : tried to add photos: didnt work)
Back to top Go down
Retmore

Retmore

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 6:45 pm

WOW! That's a lot of work Smile Good luck with it all, look forward to seeing the pics.
Back to top Go down
Jaz_ej20

Jaz_ej20

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 12:42 am

Wow that sounds like it's going to be a mean project! Good luck with it!
Back to top Go down
BERZRK
Admin
BERZRK

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:06 am

sounds big! pictures??? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chvzding

chvzding

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 8:11 am

Sure.

Heres a few pics of the car when I bought it:

Chvzdings Alfa 75 110

Chvzdings Alfa 75 410

Chvzdings Alfa 75 710

Nothing interesting to look at.

I'll add some pics of parts once I finish work, and the work done up to now.

At the moment I am trying to tidy up the wiring loom. Its a PITA. The wiring diagrams look like a retarded spider has attacked the page....
Back to top Go down
chvzding

chvzding

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 5:50 am

Okay well, I can't upload pics for some reason, its probably my antique laptop. Anyway here is the progress from the last week or so:

- Wiring loom sorted
- Rear sound deadening removed
- Boot stripped
- Retuned and running nicely
- Almost all ready for pits pass.

Except for one thing - the arsehole who I bought the speedo sensor off three weeks ago still hasn't sent it!

Not happy... And theres only so much of driving the missus car I can take (auto '09 honda accord 2.4 vtec...)

Second bit of bad news is that I moved it out onto the street for about an hour so that I could re-organise my garage a bit. In that time the neighbors reported the car as abandoned and I scored a lovely $150 fine. What a prick.

On the good news part I decided not to go with the prepped stock conrods but instead to spend a bit more and go with a forged set. Bit of a wait on them but waaay stronger, lighter and better balanced than even well prepped stockies.

I'll try and up some pics from uni.
Back to top Go down
Jaz_ej20

Jaz_ej20

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 7:01 am

chvzding wrote:
Okay well, I can't upload pics for some reason, its probably my antique laptop. Anyway here is the progress from the last week or so:

- Wiring loom sorted
- Rear sound deadening removed
- Boot stripped
- Retuned and running nicely
- Almost all ready for pits pass.

Except for one thing - the arsehole who I bought the speedo sensor off three weeks ago still hasn't sent it!

Not happy... And theres only so much of driving the missus car I can take (auto '09 honda accord 2.4 vtec...)

Second bit of bad news is that I moved it out onto the street for about an hour so that I could re-organise my garage a bit. In that time the neighbors reported the car as abandoned and I scored a lovely $150 fine. What a prick.

On the good news part I decided not to go with the prepped stock conrods but instead to spend a bit more and go with a forged set. Bit of a wait on them but waaay stronger, lighter and better balanced than even well prepped stockies.

I'll try and up some pics from uni.

Sounds like you are making pretty mad progress with it!

Cant you complain to the council that it was only there for an hour of so? Surely it would have to be there for a big length of time to be reported!
Back to top Go down
Retmore

Retmore

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 8:16 am

That fine is bullshit!
Back to top Go down
Michelle

Michelle

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 8:22 am

Illegal to park unregistered car on road. But, nice of your neighbour to report it Mad
Back to top Go down
chvzding

chvzding

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 9:54 am

Yeah I knew you couldn't park an unregistered car on the road but it was my only option - couldn't get the trolley jack where I needed it with the car in the garage.

Anyway, today has seen little progress. I have been assured that the sensor will arrive by monday.

Lets hope the sensor is the problem with the speedo...
Back to top Go down
chvzding

chvzding

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Well, a few things have happened to start with I did some math and have decided that given the cost of all this I may as well order some forged pistons and go twin turbo.

Reasoning is: I still need to strengthen the driveline, I still need a new clutch, I still need to sort the brakes, it costs only a little more (relatively speaking) and I could be looking at 400rwhp instead of 250.

Other perspective is that of my girlfriend - put it together N/A minus some of the expensive bits and sell it.

Which is tempting because I want another series 2 RX-7...

Or do I stick with it? Problem is partly that its not on the road because of the aforementioned speedo sensor problem and I am just getting over it.

Gah, I don't know. I'm, at the crossroads between spending a heap of cash on something that no-one has much experience in OR moving into another car I love a lot and achieving predictable results.

Then again having a car that sounds like this would be awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCWSghZDXhc

i.e. like a Ferrari and Lamborghini having a lovechild with a swarm of bees.

Im stumped... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Jaz_ej20

Jaz_ej20

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 4:09 pm

Sounds like a tough decision mate, the rx7 is probably the easier route to go down, but how many people have one of them compared to a high powered alpha? It is probably going to cost more and take a lot more effort but what will be more fun and satisfactory in the end?
Back to top Go down
chvzding

chvzding

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 5:01 pm

Thats true, I didn't start down this path because it would be easy. I started because I wanted to build a tough street alfa that pulled decent numbers, was reliable and run well (enough) at drag days.

Gah well lets get it on the street and then see how I feel.
Back to top Go down
Jaz_ej20

Jaz_ej20

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 3:06 am

chvzding wrote:
Thats true, I didn't start down this path because it would be easy. I started because I wanted to build a tough street alfa that pulled decent numbers, was reliable and run well (enough) at drag days.

Gah well lets get it on the street and then see how I feel.

Even if you get it running and registered it will be worth more than with it not, so if you do decide to sell it and swap cars then you will have a better return!
Back to top Go down
chvzding

chvzding

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 12:05 pm

Okay well this project stalled for a while but now its back again. Ran into a slight problem with the gear linkage but I managed to sort that out - only took a month or so.

Put in aftermarket rear sway bar and linkages.

Apart from that I have rebuilt the transaxle and driven it from my house in Taroona to Kingston to have my pits pass tyres fitted. Fun trip. Loud though now that I have bodged the exhaust up a bit to fix some holes - read that as removed rear muffler and replaced with resonator and straight pipe.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the gearbox i rather stiff now, I have to be careful shifting into reverse to avoid synchro crunch. Could be a combination of rebuilt gearbox and rebuilt gear linkages. Every other gear is aok, can't be the gearbox as it was fully rebuilt and I oversaw every step. Maybe it just needs to be run in properly...

Will be pit passed this week or next.

Have updated the mods list as a few things have changed.

Last edited by chvzding on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)
Back to top Go down
chvzding

chvzding

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 7:17 pm

REGISTERED!

Now that was an epic three days, day one passed pits, day two Lack-of-Service Tas screw me around, day three = number plates!

Okay now for some suspension and vacuum hoses...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chvzdings Alfa 75 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chvzdings Alfa 75   Chvzdings Alfa 75 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chvzdings Alfa 75
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Welcome To Hobart's Modified Mayhem :: Post up your ride (Image Heavy)-
Jump to: